96 Umfreville Road, London, N4 1TL

Online: Contact Us Online
Telephone: 0208 482 9697 ( Out of Hours: 111 )

National Health Service Logo

Medical Certificates

Taking Sick Leave

You do not need a fit note for the first 7 days of sickness. However, your employer will require a self certification certificate (see below). If you are ill during annual leave, you should report your illness to your employer and provide them with a self certificate to enable you to take your holiday at a later time. You should not be required to use annual leave to cover a period of sickness.


Employers should ask employees to fill in a form when they return to work to confirm they've been off sick for up to 7 days. This is called 'self-certification'. Employers usually provide their own version of this form, however a self certificate form can be downloaded from:


Fit Notes And Proof of Sickness

Employees should give their employer a doctor’s ‘fit note’ (previously called a ‘sick note’) if they’re off sick for more than 7 days in a row (including non-working days). Hospital doctors or GPs provide them. They can charge a fee if a fit note is asked for before the 7th day (www.gov.uk/taking-sick-leave).

The Bridge House Medical Practice charges £15 for a private 'sick note' that is requested before the 7th day. Instead, we recommend that patients "self certify".

Extension To An Existing Medical Certificate

If you require an extension to an existing medical certificate, this can be requested in person at the surgery or via email: bridgehouse.reception@remove-this.nhs.net.

You will be required to state the start date and duration of the medical certificate needed.

Medical certificate requests take 2 working days to process.

Please note that you may be asked to book a GP appointment prior to getting an extension.